Sunday, May 4, 2014

Another New Variety

The tomatoes, peppers and eggplants have graduated to the cold frame.  This is also the time when I can start tomato seeds in the cold frame and have them ready to plant by Memorial Day.



Two varieties, the Dr. Wyche's Yellow and the Paul Robeson are, for the second year in a row, acting very sluggish.  I have an empty flat of pots ready in the cold frame so I decided to go ahead and use up some of my older seeds while they are still viable.  I planted some old favorites that I've moved away from, Ananas Noir, Pineapple, more Paul Robeson, more Dr. Wyche's Yellow, and because the Dr. Wyche is so lazy I rummaged through my seed collection looking for another yellow or white tomato.  Voila'!  I found the Jack White sent to me a couple of years ago by a blog reader as a seed trade!  Thank you Thank you!!!


Source
This variety fits the bill.
Jack White
Indeterminate. Regular leaf. 80 days. Stabilized cross between White Beauty and Tomesol White.  Extreme producer of excellent flavored fruits with the best traits of both parents. Average size is ten to sixteen ounces.  Nice flavor with a creamy consistency.  

Exactly my sort of tomato.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they will turn out.

Gardeners in my area are embarking on another growing season.  Although my peas have sprouted, the benchmark Forsythia, whose blooming marks pea planting time, has yet to make a show.  There are a few yellow flowers here and there, but in general, the Forsythia population is still hesitant about the weather.  Some gardeners are ready to go.  My Dad's little plot is tilled and waiting.  But others are discouraged by last year's poor tomato season.  The neighbor's brother, who usually starts many plants on his own and generously hands them out to friends and family did not start any.  On one hand, it's reassuring.  I know that I was not the only gardener to have trouble last year.  On the other hand, hope should spring eternal.  It's time to get planting!  Surely something will grow well this year.

Also started in the cold frame I have two flats of cucurbits, my old standby cucumber, Marketmore 76, as well as a new experiment, Moon and Stars Watermelon and a redo on last year's experiment with another variety of cantaloupe.  I have some onion sets and I'm setting those out as they begin to sprout, timing my crop in increments, and I have potatoes chitting in the garden shed.

In the garden 10 days apart, I have two plantings of peas, carrots, lettuce (with backups for fill in waiting in flats) and garlic.  And the bad news is... on Friday the Flea Beetles hatched.

Peas Sprouting.  They were planted  16 days ago

This mini hoop house covered with shade cloth makes a nice hardening off spot for my lettuce replacements

It's so hard to wait!  This is Ruby & Emerald Duet

The garlic is doing well.  This is planted in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. It's so nice that things are finally getting going in the garden - at times I thought this day would never come! And you are so right about knowing that others were in the same boat when it came to last years tomatoes. It was the 1st time in many years that I decided to grown tomatoes from seed - all heirlooms. Seeing that I wasn't just me definitely helped.

    ReplyDelete