Sunday, December 20, 2020

Christmas Decorating for Isolationism

Exactly how much Christmas decorating is necessary when you can pretty much guarantee you are the only one who will enjoy it?  I did get down three small boxes of decorations, but even I just couldn't muster the energy to put together a tree.  Much less two like last year. But everyone needs at least a little holiday cheer to mark the time.  The winter solstice is tomorrow morning at 5:02 AM and we can start counting the days to seed starting time.


This year I just did the things that make me the happiest changing the overall feel of the house to a cozy wintery theme  That included walnuts and my favorite Mason Jar snow globes which will stay out all winter.  


If anyone stops by these holidays it will only be to drop off some goodies and stick their head in to say hello.  So I spent my creative energy for new decor on the side porch with a little Christmas laundry display and some window candles.


My personal all time favorite Christmas/winter decoration is this grater luminary with all of the fixins for Swedish Korv sausage.  Korv is a sausage made up of equal parts beef, pork, onions and potatoes seasoned with Allspice.  Two years ago we purchased a big sausage stuffer which is really fun to use but you inevitably wind up with at least a half pound of meat in the pipeline which needs to be hand stuffed.  That's when the ole cow horn comes in handy.  I can't even imagine stuffing the whole 15 pound batch by hand with a cow horn!  But I do like the idea that I'm the sort of person who has a cow horn sitting in a drawer for just such an emergency.  I like to put out star anise, cinnamon and nutmeg.  The scent is subtle but it does add to the overall atmosphere.  This year I even took the trouble to go out and collect rosehips.  Those darn multiflora bushes were finally good for something.  This arrangement is in the kitchen where I spend the most time.


Another favorite, simple bit of decor is on the bathroom shelf.


I recreated the table centerpiece from a couple of years ago.


Of course I had to rearrange my collectibles in the Hoosier.  I brought as much red out as I could and added the vintage Christmas snow and little Shiney Brite ornaments.

I just noticed that this entry is my 500th blog entry.

Merry Christmas to all.  
Enjoy your seed catalogs.
Spring is on its way!



3 comments:

  1. I so enjoy reading your blog. This may be the first time I have commented after all these years. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely decorating! I have a hard time mustering the decorating spirit unless my grandchildren are coming, but my husband is like a little kid in some ways when it comes to Christmas. So he cut a cedar tree that had to go anyway and I decorated that. The only other thing was the Christmas table cloth and a couple of wreathes. Enough to remind us that special times are important, but not a huge amount to have to take down and put away again!

    ReplyDelete