Tuesday, July 27, 2021

A Little Bit of This and a Little Bit of That

 Nothing major going on in the garden this week.  Just a lot of little projects perking along

Tomorrow I will have tomato on my lunch salad.


For several years I have been reading how I'm "growing zucchini all wrong and once you stake your zucchini you will never go back to letting them sprawl on the ground".  
Well I didn't have a problem with the form of my zucchini plants.  The plants were healthy and if you plant two seeds at a time you get a nice symmetrical mound.  But if you never try new things you never improve on things.  So I stuck an extra Titan Tomato Cage around one zucchini plant and.... I like it! 
I'm not saying I will stake them and prune them into topiaries, but I can see the benefit of growing them vertically.


The sauerkraut made enough brine to fully submerge itself within a couple of hours.  
I just needed to be patient.


The Too Many Peas are all shelled and drying.
Next year I will not have to order pea seed.


Random shot of the House from the driveway side

Random shot of the Garden Shed


The pole beans look really rough on the bottom.  REALLY rough.
 But we are getting plenty of nice beans and I have already started putting some away in the freezer.

Better looking beans plants are on the horizon


I needed to thin the Siberian Irises around our water well.
It has been a few years since I did this and they were an impacted mound with too many weeds.  This mix originally was supposed to have seven different colors, but the medium blue ones always take over.  The one corner had at least two shades of blue and some yellow so I removed everything else and then redistributed what was left, trimming them back to keep them up off the lawn.  I will probably plant some elsewhere and maybe even pot some up.   I have LOTS.


Much tidier now with room to grow


The sweet corn is looking very promising


And so is the second planting of cucumbers


The pear tree is holding five pears and they are getting pretty big.


I wasn't sure if the Gypsy broccoli was going to put out any side shoots, but it finally is.  I picked enough for a lunch salad before I took this picture.




2 comments:

  1. I've grown zucchini both ways and haven't noticed much difference production-wise . . . it will be interesting to get your take on it. However, I do think it's easier to harvest when the leaves are up a bit. I'll have some home-grown tomato in my salad today as well. My beefsteaks are going nuts!!
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that it is easier to harvest when the plant gets a little taller and the growing tip is right there in front of you. I will say that the plant in the cage has much larger leaves and is growing quicker than the other two. The first flush of production was pretty even across all three. The plants had a lull but are beginning to flower again so maybe I will keep track.

      Delete