Thursday, August 5, 2021

August 5th and still no Cucumbers or Tomatoes

Facebook has a way of rubbing my nose in my garden short comings.


But I do have some gorgeous young plants.
Some day.
And they will be soooooo good.


Yesterday our neighbor hosted her garden club's monthly meeting here and then they took a tour of the garden.  For the past week I have kept up with all of the minutiae of garden maintenance.  Painstakingly dead heading and weeding and primping.  I left a lot of things just so they could be shown and discussed.  Now that that is over I can move on.  The first thing I have to decide is...

8:00 am this morning
Do I pull this gorgeous zucchini plant that is producing so well...


Because by mid-morning it is a miserable wilted mess?

Noon today

I can't find a vine borer, but that's how it acts.
I want to let those squash get just a smidge bigger.


I had gotten behind on picking beans because they looked so good on the vine.
This morning I cleaned the vines including the "seconds" which go to the mulch pile.


Some of the Carminat were too mature. But impressive!


I may not have slicing tomatoes, but I have plenty of patio tomatoes for salads.
That first big tomato sandwich will also be savored.


The later Honey 'n Pearl sweet corn has bounced back from too much rain.


It is starting to form some ears.
Great pollination conditions!


The Lima Beans are still a lush jungle.


There are finally beans forming


A few things about sweet potatoes.  The larger 25 gallon grow bag on the right had three slips planted and is doing well.  The small 5 gallon grow bag on the left has one slip which is growing better than the group of slips.  I may plant individual plants in 5 gallon bags next year.


When I ran out of potting mix I still had nice slips.  So I planted three in straight compost with Garden-tone mixed in.  They are growing much thicker vine than the potting mix bags.


The vibernum bushes in the natural area to the north of the garden fence is covered with berries.  The red stems are so striking.  When ripe, the berries are purple.


The garden is doing great and producing an abundance of beans, corn, potatoes and summer squash.  There are still cabbages and cauliflower to pick.


I need to catch up on prep work!  Time to make potato salad.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment