Sunday, May 15, 2022

Patience and Self Control

I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant cucumbers before June.  I will not plant.....

Maybe I'll plant the beans...

One of my general rules is to wait until June before planting cucumbers, summer squash and beans.  That way the soil is warm and dry, night temps are high enough, and I don't have to deal with the wild fluctuations of May.  And most importantly the cucumber beetles hatch and there is nothing out there to eat.   The past week has had daytime temps in the eighties and night time temps in the sixties and it is getting harder and harder to wait. Yesterday I was sitting near the garden and the table next to me looked like it had been sprinkled with black pepper.  It was flea beetles!  I haven't planted anything that they will want to eat this year but it was a good reminder.  There are pests out there ready to devour my garden.  

Peas and Lettuce

Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cabbages
And some annuals seeking refuge from the blistering sun

Three plantings of Carrots

To distract myself from planting seeds, I worked on my sweet potato slips.  The past few years I have grown Mahon Yam from Johnny's Seeds.  It is a variety exclusive to them and it has been excellent.  Last year's harvest wasn't the greatest as far as quantity.  The grower had trouble producing slips due to weather and they came late and dilapidated.  I experimented with my soil mixture because by the time they arrived I was out of potting mix and I was cheap - and the end result was a very small harvest.  

But I still have a few in storage including some from my 2020 crop (!).  If you cure them properly the storage life is Amazing.  Usually 25 slips are $24.99.  That's expensive enough but this year they were priced at $37.00  I don't think so!  Not for my success rate.  And since I was still on the fence about it when I placed my main order, I would have had to pay the minimum shipping on top of that.  But I still had those tubers so,,,,


I decided to try growing my own slips.


I have two tubers sprouting and I am starting with just the one... since I am new to this.  I snapped off the slips, preserving as many roots as possible, and put them in a jar of water to continue rooting.  I put them back in the cold frame so they are in sun and won't need to be hardened off.  We'll see how this works.  They already look a hundred times better than any slips I ever got in the mail.


I am slowly starting on my annuals.  Celosia in the fire pit planter...


The Charming Beauty tulips are blooming.  These are suppose to deepen in color as they age.  Right now they are a very pale lemon which I'm not crazy about but...


Each bulb is producing two, three and even four blooms each!




7 comments:

  1. I have tried commenting for months and no luck! Testing once again. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! It worked! You're already outdoing yourself with the gardens. Have seen all your posts but could not comment and had no way to email you. Our 1200 garlic plants are getting huge, 400 onion plants, snow peas, romaine and spinach are in. Strawberries are full of blossoms and the rhubarb has gone nuts. Bolting already. A food truck owner wants to buy veggies from us...especially cucumbers and tomatoes. A friend has started San Marzanos from seed and we will get them at the end of the month. I'm learning a lot from your posts and am still in awe of your gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Back to Commenting! I just sent you a Facebook friend request so we can keep in touch.

      Delete
  3. It all looks great! We’ve just started putting the seedlings in the ground here in northern Utah. There is a slight chance of a freeze/near freeze at the end of the week so we may have to battle that. It’s totally worth it though! Happy planting!
    —Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blasted flea beetles wreak havoc on my early planted salad greens every year (mizuna, arugula, frisee, etc.) so I'm (not) patiently waiting to plant them later than I usually do to see if that helps. Your tulips are beautiful. Sure wish our weather would permit the growing of sweet potatoes 'cause I love 'em, but we never get and stay warm enough for them. Here's hoping yours do great this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing doesn't seem to help at all with flea beetles. In fact nothing seems to help except starting plants in a safe place so they are big enough to survive the onslaught when the beetles find them. I love planting eggplants but only do it every three years or so which seems to reduce the overall population of flea beetles.

      Delete
    2. Ha! Good thing I have no luck raising eggplants. I'm doing my part to decrease the population of flea beetles! ;o)

      Delete