Friday, November 18, 2022

Snowvember The Sequel

Eight years ago today, Buffalo NY experienced the Snowvember snow storm.  Well, its deja vu all over again.  For the past few days, the weatherman has been forecasting feet of snow.  The Lake Effect machine has fired up and some people are waking up to two feet of snow.  And it has only just begun.  Everything started closing yesterday.  The travel bans are now in effect in several townships.  The NFL has moved the Sunday Bills/Browns game to Detroit.  Because both Orchard Park and Cleveland are socked in. 


But don't worry about us.  We are well south of the current weather pattern.  We got about 10 inches of snow yesterday as the winds blew from the northwest across Lake Erie but the winds have shifted and the wind is now running the length of the lake and aiming straight at the south towns of Buffalo.  The wind will turn again over night between Saturday and Sunday and Sunday we will be expecting more snow.  

In the mean time.  I've been thinking about next year's vegetable garden and it occurred to me that I am always looking for a good spot to plant dill and parsley to bring in more Swallowtail butterflies.  So one of the resting beds will be zinnias, one will be sunflowers and another will be dill and parsley to host the caterpillars.  I may even plant another bed in cosmos.  The great thing about sunflowers, zinnias, cosmos and dill is that they can be direct sown and then pretty much ignored for the whole season.  If you can ignore a mass of beautiful flowers.

Swallowtail caterpillar 2018

Black Swallowtail and Sunflowers 2018

So while it snows, I am shopping my usual seed suppliers for the prettiest collections of my favorite flowers.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds as though you, too, are heading into a snowy winter season. You're such a dedicated (and accomplished) gardener! I'm still trying to put all things garden completely out of my mind and you're excited about what to plant where for next season. I say . . . good for you! :o) It will be a few months before I'm ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only have about an inch plus here and the sun has melted the driveway. Hopefully it will continue to miss us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see it is supposed to shift north tomorrow. I hope it doesn't make it too far inland. There reaches a point when there is nowhere to move snow to.

      Delete