Thursday, December 21, 2023

Solstice

 My last office when I worked had a wall of windows that faced full south.  My desk faced the windows and over the years I found that the sun dropped below the top of the window on November 12th and rose above it on January 30th.  I even noted it on Facebook.

During those weeks, on a sunny day, I would sometimes have to wear sunglasses in the afternoon whenever the sun hit a gap in the blinds.  Now I notice the sun's trajectory most on the mornings when I walk.  

Not long ago the neighbor and I were discussing the sunrise location through the trees and the effects of the shortened winter daylight on our moods and how we looked forward to the Solstice and the lengthening days when I had an image of my ancient ancestors sitting around a fire on the wide expanse of Salisbury Plain.  

 "Every winter these shortened days get me down more and more.  I wish we could somehow mark the point on the horizon when the days start to get longer so we would know we are on the upswing...

                               ... hey, what if we got a couple really big rocks..."

Photo Source
Happy Solstice!

No comments:

Post a Comment