Monday, October 21, 2024

Dividing Dahlias

 Dividing Dahlias is a process that I really enjoy.  I like the organization of storing them away.  I enjoy counting up my tubers so I have a good list to make plans from over the winter. Last year I did an in depth post on my process, so I won't belabor the point, but I did want to give a shout out to my new compost sifter and how it has improved my washing experience.  


I can now use the large wheelbarrow and the small screen is great for toting clumps around.  And speaking of toting clumps!  The Gitt's Crazy dahlia is a beast!  This clump was a single tuber this spring.  It seems like a waste, but there is no way I could make use of all of these tubers, even if I could divide them without damage.  And think of the storage space required!   For these common, easy to find varieties, that pump out massive tubers, I don't worry too much about preserving them.  I will plant one, maybe two plants of this variety next year.  Even when I only want one plant, I always cut one or two spares in case it doesn't store well.


Five tubers came off easily and the rest went to the compost pile.  If all of these survive storage, I will plant one for myself and pot up the rest in gallon pots for a backup and will be able to share whatever I don't use.  I do have a much sought after variety called Bloomquist Jean.  The variety does not produce a lot of tubers, but I got five tubers from my clump and if they store well, I may use them to trade for something else hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment