The first tomato of the season is taking its sweet time. The plants themselves are looking amazing and they are covered in fruit. This year I got the pairings exactly right. Two on the left are the super vigorous varieties that are much like Brandywine, Elsie's Amish Tomato and the Barlow Tomato. Two in the middle are the black Paul Robeson and Carbon. Two on the right are Sun Sugar Cherry and Adelaide Festival Dwarf.
The Barlow tomato first spotted on June 23rd is just starting to change.
The Sweet Corn will also be ready any day. I have been feeling the ear tips but I haven't gotten anxious enough to start peaking inside yet.
I am seeing some good sized ears in here. There should be as much as we want.
The pole beans are climbing and starting to produce. They really stalled out there in the heat wave because I did not have them mulched and the Marigolds weren't big enough to properly shade their roots. The vines are really healthy and should produce well for many weeks to come.
It is proving to be a stellar year for Peppers.
The plants are LOADED with Peppers.
Now that I have more than enough pickles made, it is time to pull the tired out Cucumber vines. The vines are still flowering well but not setting fruit.
I remove all of the pickling vines but left the two slicer vines because they had some nice cucumbers still developing on them.
My refrigerator is full from these two vines, and the cukes should last for weeks still.
The Blackberries will be ready soon. Below is the first clump of berries but there are many more behind that. I have hoops set up and I am ready to throw some insect netting over them to keep the birds from stealing my berries. I am not willing to share these first precious fruit.
That pretty much covers the food coming out of the vegetable garden. I would like to show off the Tiara Blue Supertunias that Romence Gardens shipped my by mistake. I wasn't in love with them when planted them but they are really growing on me.
The white Marigolds are in a bit of a lull right now but are covered in buds.
My annuals should continue looking beautiful all through August













No comments:
Post a Comment