Sunday, April 6, 2014

Lettuce look forward to warmer weather

This is the sort of cold frame I would expect Tim to build
Today was a beautiful Marchish day.  No matter that it is April.  I spent some time getting into shape with some light gardening: filling pots, a little mulching, a little composting.  We turned the compost pile in preparation for a new load of horse manure.



I have some eggplants up and the peppers are just showing some green loops in the soil.  I planted lettuce in flats in the cold frame to be transplanted outside.  This year's varieties are Crispino which is a head lettuce (I tried a pack of Burpee Iceberg last year and they were NOT head lettuce) Baby Romaine, Ruby & Emerald Duet which is a butterhead and my favorite leaf lettuce blend from Renee's seeds which has Speckled Troutback, Blush Butter Cos, Red Ruffled Oak and Devil's Tongue.  I think my favorite from that blend is the Speckled Troutback which you would like if your taste's lean towards the butterhead type.  The overall blend is mild but colorful and not as challenging to the taste buds as some heirloom greens can be.

I'm looking forward to loads of lettuce and will be direct sowing some seeds very soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment