Saturday, July 12, 2014

Too Good to be True?


Last year's incursion of cucumber beetles was an absolute trial on my patience.  This year I've seen exactly three.  Three.  It was the third week of June on the cantaloupe blossoms.  I killed them.  And that was all.  I haven't seen one since.

In 2012 it was the flea beetles.  This year they are present but not extreme.  2011's plague was the Japanese Beetles.  This year they have arrived 2 weeks late and so far, have been moderate.  In 2010 it was the slugs.  This year I've seen, and destroyed..... two.

To what do we owe this much needed breather?  This year the asparagus beetles were a challenge, but the other pests are in abeyance.  Was it the extreme hard winter?  Years of diligent destruction?  Some magical combination of companion planting and soil management?  Was it the addition of beneficial nematodes and Milky Spore?  All of the above?

Garden happenings this week:

I have had just about enough of picking peas, and am looking forward to bush beans.
I have counted 20 cantaloupes larger than a kiwi.

The zucchini have already gotten away from me.  I've only eaten one.  The rest I've given to my mother who feeds them to my baby niece.   That's one little girl who loves her veggies.   The Dunja plants are large and beautiful.

The black beans are almost as high as my hip and beginning to bloom

the cucumbers are just about ready to eat
and I am anxiously awaiting the first Blue Beauty tomato.


No comments:

Post a Comment