Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Seed Ordering During The Coronavirus Emergency

I just wanted to save some of this for posterity so we can look back at the surge of home gardening. Click on the pictures for a larger, readable version. It just sort of boggles the mind.  It isn't uncommon, before spring is over, to go looking for a certain variety and have most suppliers sold out, but this wave of orders is just unprecedented.










Luckily I ordered all of my seeds in January, but there is no going back and deciding that this year I want to start all of my herbs.  Not unless you want to pay shipping for a pack of this from here and a pack of that from there.  it just isn't cost effective.

The one thing that was stressing me out was the potting mix for my tomatoes.  This year I plan to grow tomatoes only in containers, after last year's accidental success.  The used soil in my dirt locker is earmarked for carrots and potato bags.  I feel it is wise to begin with fresh potting mix for tomatoes because it is less likely to harbor disease.  I did have a bag and a half left over from last year because I always make sure I get at least one bag in the fall so I have it in the spring when I transplant my seedlings and I don't have to chip it out of a frozen stack on a miserable day and load a mucky, frozen bag of soil into my car.

Well I did get my garden soil from Home Depot.  My husband needed a window well cover to replace ours which was destroyed in last week's hail storm.  Our HD has hours from 6 am to 6 pm.  We got up at 5:30 Saturday morning and when I walked out the door I had failed to realize that we were in the middle of a snow storm.  Pitch dark, high winds, two inches of snow on the ground, and more falling.

We were the first shoppers through the door at 6:10 am.  Hubby went one way and I headed out to the snowy, blowy, but well lit Garden Center.  I had to brush the snow off of the pile, but I got my three large bags of potting mix and made a round to see if they had Milorganite (which they never do and this was no exception) or any other highly valued garden supplies that I won't want to have to make a second trip for.

I did note, on my way to the check-out, that they had stacks of toilet paper right by the entrance.  That's another highly sought after resource.  After loading our treasures in the car, we stopped by the grocery to pick up some milk and headed home.  We were home and back in bed by 7 am trying to convince ourselves that it had all been a bad dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment