Friday, November 26, 2021

Low Key Black Friday

After a couple of snow free days, it is again dropping snowballs out there to the point where we may actually have to plow the driveway.  Its very peaceful and cozy.  The kind of day to light some scented candles, put on some wool socks and bum around the house with a warm drink.  

For Thanksgiving yesterday, I just put a turkey breast in the slow cooker and we had quiet meal for two with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and carrots freshly pulled from the garden.  And pumpkin pie. Today we are having hot dogs and beans LOL!  And pumpkin pie.  We're tired of eating.  And with Korv Day and Turkey Day pretty much back to back, my kitchen staff is tired of doing dishes.

Traditionally, Black Friday is the day I haul twenty Christmas tubs down from the attic and spend seven hours redecorating the house.  For the second year in a row I am cutting back on decorating.  Maybe next year I will get back to two trees and even some garlands.  Since it started snowing fairly early this year, I have already been slowly changing over from fall to winter.  A table runner here, some pinecones there. 


Years past I have had a few orange slice ornaments.  I might sacrifice an orange or two, but this year my husband bought oranges that he was dissatisfied with so all of a sudden I had a whole bag of oranges that nobody wanted!  I sliced them all up and put them in the dehydrator.  Lots of orange slices!


The star anise, cinnamon sticks and raffia I already had on hand.  I am just waiting for my Amazon Day delivery for some more red and natural jute twine to make the hangers.


I already had a little of the correct twine on hand so some of the oranges are already finding their way into my decorating.


This little cedar welcomes people to the side porch.


Some of my decorating still has a fall and winter mix.  
The crows and a pumpkin are still out


 but now we also have pine cones, rose hips and orange slices.


At this point I am still just rounding up elements that I want to enjoy this season and putting away collectibles that I'm not going to use.  The actual construction of each arrangement is yet to come.  This is where I realize that I am one tin grater short for what I want to do and have to shop for one on Etsy.
Plus, I don't have enough fairy lights which should be here with the red striped twine.


I recently found this fun, local, candy striped malted milk can from the 1930s while out antiquing.  I still have to pry the lid off, then I think it would make a fun base for a little Christmas tree.


For now some of my other fall decor can stay while I get my ideas together.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You certainly have a decorator's flair! Nicely done and glad you had a good Thanksgiving :)
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of us had Thanksgiving for two this year....just rolling with the situation and trying to stay healthy. Love your oranges and decorations. Hey, we love hot dogs and beans too! We do not do a lot of decorating at our farm, however we have Twinkie lights in all the downstairs rooms year round. Instead of a Christmas tree we have frequently hung bare branches with homemade ornaments...like a big mobile. Thank you for tuning in to my journal and leaving comments!

    ReplyDelete