Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Mid-July Vegetable Update

The cucumbers are not the only thing growing well.  The lettuce is done and the peas are drying on the vine so I can save the seeds.  Here is what else is growing:

Sweet Corn
Forming ears

The aforementioned cucumber jungle

Cantaloupes
No fruit set yet, but how could I tell in that heavy growth?
The Cauliflower is done and I am eating my way through the cabbage.
The Broccoli is sending out side shoots.

Pole Beans

Seychelles Pole Beans flowering
I have picked four zucchini

Havasu Peppers
We had one in salad tonight and it was SPICY.

One of five tomato plants

The countdown is on

Snapdragons and Cosmos
Zinnias budding

A few sunflowers are blooming

Herbs (Parsley and Basil) and Sweet Potatoes

Buckwheat in resting beds

The peas almost ready to come out.


2 comments:

  1. I tried bagging my apples and pears on my trees this year. Have you had any issues with the bags blowing off in the wind? How about condensation in the bags as well as bugs (earwigs) getting into the bags? I'm excited to keep the deer off them, but having to replace so many is getting me discouraged. I'm in Michigan, so I don't know if that's causing issues or if this is normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I have never had a bag blow off, not even once. Yes, sometimes I do get condensation or insects inside the bag. Make sure you cut a slit through the zipper in the center so that you can close the zipper tightly against the stem on each side. The smaller the apple is when you bag it, the easier it is to secure the zipper properly. I snip the bottom corners off to allow water drainage, and if you take the time to put your hand in each bag and separate the plastic it will drain all moisture better than if you were to leave the front and back stuck to itself. Condensation and rain moisture does not seem to harm the fruit but it seems as if it would so I like to set mine up to dry well. I use the WalMart Great Value sandwich bags. Good luck in perfecting your system. It is the only thing I can think of to deter the deer.

      Delete