Thursday, August 13, 2026

Mid Summer Reset

Very few combination pots make it through the whole season.  Often you can trim them back hard and the plants will put on a lot of new growth.  Some of them you may just be tired of.  I took the two green containers that I had begonias and a dahlia in, got rid of the tired plants and did a reset using the Celosia that I pulled out of the stones.  One container also had the Peachy Keen Superbena in it.  I divided those between the two.  


I usually wait to transplant something until I can see roots coming out of the drain holes, but these were starting to bloom so it was time.  They have really good root systems for Celosia that was ripped up.


I transplanted right before a rainy day and when the rain stopped and the sun came out they were ready to grow.  The Superbena didn't even mind being yanked out and moved mid-season.  I thought this color scheme might look better come fall in place of the red, white and blue planters by the deck.  Those can go somewhere else, and when I move the peppers and pumpkins and corn stalks over there, the red, orange and yellow Celosia may look good too.  If not, there are plenty of spots for them.


Here is a plant that is getting in the spirit of a mid season rejuvenation.  I trimmed a few faded leaves away from this Changeling Heuchera to let the new growth shine through.


The deer have finally decided to taste the pumpkin vines.


She ate 10 leaves but stopped when she got to the prickly stems.


I don't mind much.  I resprayed with repellent and I am glad that I took the time to protect these plants when they were small and more appetizing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment