Monday, September 14, 2026

That was a whole lot O' Tomato

It has been a long time since I had to process tomatoes.  This is mainly thanks to my Amish friend Elsie's tomato plant.  That thing just produces it's head off.  I start a tray of them for Elsie each spring from seeds she saves.  She used to ask for 48 plants and now she asks for 15.  I can see why.  I've been planting this variety for a few years now and saving some seeds to add to hers to maintain some diversity in the strain and apparently we've bred a monster producer.  Also the plant grows eight feet tall!


I prepared about half of what I had and it just fit in my six quart cooker.  I cooked them down for about four hours, periodically removing liquid.  They cooked down to two quarts which I bagged and put in the freezer.


But I still had enough for another batch... 


Before supper I got those peeled and into the cooker.  They just fit.  I reduced them to two quarts also.  


So these would have produced 12 quarts if I had just gone ahead and water bath canned the quartered tomatoes.  I will use one quart of these per one pound of ground beef when I make my chili this fall.



No comments:

Post a Comment