Saturday, November 4, 2023

Bush Whacking

 We have a couple of strips along the wooded areas that used to be landscape beds but have been taken over by golden rod, aster, blackberry, rose bushes, you name it.  What a mess.  I don't mind it during the summer, because the flowers are actually quite nice. But if I don't do something about it now, all of those tall weeds will break down and lay in the drive and be miserable to clean up in the spring.


Last year I left it, but I'm not falling for that again.  And I am tired of everything laying over my topsoil box and into the compost pile.  Its not like we don't have many hundreds of feet of the same thing.  I just can't wrestle with this section anymore.  I got out the big Stihl Kombi brush cutter and gave it a good trim.


There are still some blackberries and Virginia Creeper but they will be easier to cut with a hand pruner now that they aren't all entangled.  When I got done I was covered in golden rod seed and dust and I smelled of mold.  I will need Zyrtec tonight!


I didn't cut it all, just what would lay over the drive.  Hard to believe there was once myrtle and ajuga and day lilies in there.  They've pretty much given up.


The myrtle is still holding out here but the deer will eat it down now.


And away it goes to the burn pile.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, it always feels good to conquer an area back from chaos. I hear you about leaving an area go! Sometimes it can't be helped, but it always makes more work in the end. Looks like you all have done a good job tidying up.

    ReplyDelete