Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Winter is Here

 It is snowing here in Western NY.  It was pretty slick out this morning, but we are not getting the heavy lake effect snows they were warning us about.  Just about six inches and still snowing lightly.  It was enough to get me in a holiday mood.

Yesterday we got the Christmas decorations down from the attic.  I combined and purged and reduced by four containers.  My stash is getting more manageable every year.  But still, you keep things that you are not really in the mood for so that maybe next year you can enjoy them.  We haven't had a tree since 2019.  I really intended to do one or both last year, but I ran out of steam.


This year I decided to concentrate on the dining room tree first and just put out a few other touches as the mood strikes me.  I had forgotten how much work it can be.  This tree has lights already on it.  A few years ago they conked out and I carefully replaced them.  I had left myself a note that it really needed 50 more lights along the bottom.  Instead, I added a string of 300 little pinpoint LEDs wound into the whole tree which give it a nice sparkle from the inside.  Then I put on some gold and red glass bead garland.  At that point I was whooped.  And I still had to reach behind the pie safe and plug in the extension cord!  We have too much furniture!  I long for a bare, empty wall!  So I can cover it up...


In the past this tree has been much a much creamier tone overall.  But this year I wanted to bring out some warmer tones to go with the drapes I hung last year.  And just the burgundy balls in the glass garland was enough.


The ornaments on this tree lean toward natural materials.  There are bleached pine cones, Swedish straw stars, string snowflakes and blown out poulet eggs.


It has a light, lacey appearance.


This is going to be the bulk of my Christmas decorating.  I always rearrange things on my Hoosier, and will put out a few special items and some candles in the entryway windows.  But for the most part I am done, and pleased with how it turned out.

2 comments:

  1. Your tree is absolutely magical! Gorgeous! Yes, decorating is a lot of work, but hopefully worth it (until it's time to put it all away, lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was thinking that. The undecorating process is just as fussy only without the magical reward at the end. I actually found one of those little straw stars still clinging to the tree from last time. Luckily I get a lot of satisfaction from organizing and packing.

      Delete