Friday, August 14, 2026

Other Annuals and Containers Review

 So how are some of my other annual containers doing?  Pretty well overall.  We have had a cooler summer with an average amount of rain.  The wildfire smoke has blocked some sun, and plants are affected by air quality too.  I have religiously fertilized all of the Petunias and Supertunias once a week with Proven Winners Water Soluble Fertilizer and that really is a necessity for containers. 


The Supertunias are looking great.  If I plant this combination again I will double the number of the Latte color because they are not as vigorous as the Black Cherry or Royal Velvet varieties.


But Supertunias are a great product.  They have a nice mounding habit and they do not need seed pods removed.  The blooms are smaller so they just dry up and go away.


The Dreams Series in the Deck Planters are a really nice plant too.  But they do require deadheading.  Maintaining traditional Petunias are something that I am up to every few years.  Because you can get seeds for the Dream series in several colors, growing them out myself is a possibility for the future.


While the bloom to green stem ratio is not as nice as Supertunias, these plants still have a lot of buds on them.  They just keep expanding.....


The black Sweetunias in this planter are a fail.  They petered out.  As you can see the Licorice Plant and Rediculous Coleus are doing well.  I am going to take cuttings off this coleus soon and that will invigorate it.


I will also take cuttings again from my El Brighto Coleus.  I was almost going to say I was done overwintering Coleus, but it is really nice to have a stock of "extra" annuals on hand and they just perform so well.


I have decided I really like the Blue Tiara Supertunias.


I also have some new annuals tucked in a bare spot here in this bed.  Romence put their annuals on 50% off and free shipping.  That's a good way to try out some plants for a reasonable cost.  And they don't have to throw them out.  Win win. These are the Cobalt Superbena and the Unplugged White Salvia.  Both of these are doing well despite the fact that they are really "seconds" and needed some intensive care to get them up and running. I would like to use them again.  I also got a few of the Persimmon Supertunias.  They were not very vigorous, and I have already pulled them.  I liked the color.  If I could buy them locally I may work them into the plan.  But I will not be going out of my way to get them.


My Vanilla Marigolds and Zinnias are a win.


The Marigolds in all the photos are not covered in blooms because white flowers... even Marigolds... just do not hold up to rain.  They brown very quickly and I have gone around and trimmed them all daily to get rid of the yuck and to encourage the fresh buds to open.  Not having to water every other day is nice, but it does not make for lush annuals.


The Supertunias in the ground under the pear tree are nice.  Once of the Latte plants died.  I think its roots rotted from too much rain which is what the Persimmon plants did too.  Gee we haven't had THAT much rain.  Wimps.



No comments:

Post a Comment