Saturday, February 25, 2017

Strawberry Season

It's Strawberry Season again.  Well not here, but in some parts of America.  So each time I walk into the produce department, I am faced with luscious looking strawberries.  The problem with this is I cannot justify buying fresh strawberries when I have pints and pints frozen at home with no plan for how to use them up.

What do you do with a whole bunch of frozen strawberries?  You make Strawberry Crisp.  I found this recipe on Pinterest so if any of you are in the same predicament I highly recommend it.  It says to serve warm with vanilla ice cream, But in my opinion it's better refrigerated with whip cream.

RECIPE SOURCE
Strawberry Crisp
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
Ingredients
  • 32 ounces of strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned roll oats
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
  • Instructions
    1.      Preheat oven to 350*F
    2.      Spray an 9 x 9 inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.
    3.      In a bowl toss strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch.
    4.      Place berries into prepared pan.
    5.      In a separate bowl, mix flour, oats, 1/3 cup white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
    6.      Add melted butter and mix well.
    7.      Pour oatmeal mixture on top of berries.
    8.      Bake for 35 minutes or until topping is golden and berries are bubbly.
    9.      Serve immediately with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of. I make peach crisp. Blueberry crisp. It's funny that Strawberry didn't come to mind.
    I whirl my frozen berries up into a fruit "sorbet". Now I have a new use. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along the lines of Sorbet, I make popsicles in the summer. Puree the berries, add some lemonade or other juice, and freeze in popsicle forms. Not appropriate for February... most years!

    ReplyDelete