This weekend I began preparing two beds for my cauliflower plants which will be set out not this coming weekend, but the one after that, when they are 5 weeks old. The first step is to loosen the soil with a broad fork. I've found this to be very helpful for my raised beds particularly in water absorption. I had a couple of beds where the soil got compacted enough that the water would either pool or run to the low side (yes, my garden is on a grade). After a bed has been aerated with a fork, water disappears into it like a sieve which is a better situation.
At this point I add my soil amendments and then rake it smooth. This way, the amendments are worked into the top few inches (dropping through the holes) without having to turn the soil. Cauliflower are heavy feeders. I added blood meal and some bone meal along with bio-char soil conditioner, and earth worm casting. My goal is to improve the overall health of my soil, not just add nitrogen.
|The Surecrop Strawberry Plants arrived from Starks over a |
week ago and have already begun to put out new leaves.
|I've added a plastic tub over the lettuce babies to give them a boost|
|You can barely see them, but they are there!|
Current Garden Status:
Peas: Six rows planted. The last two will be planted this coming weekend.
Carrots: Two grow bags planted last weekend. No germination yet
Lettuce: Seeded three weeks ago.
Cauliflower: Seedlings thriving. Beds prepared.
Eggplants: Seedling developing first true leaves