Monday, May 30, 2022

Memorial Day Weekend ~ Status Report

 Its funny, my garden is "in" and full of potential.  I feel on top of things.  And yet very little is visible.

Bed #1 invisible cole crops

Bed #2 Ranunculus plants, spare strawberry plants and space for cukes.

Bed #3 ready for summer squash

Bed #4 ready for cantaloupes

Bed #5 one row of bush beans planted on the left and too tiny to see

Bed # 6 soil warming for pole beans

Bed #7 Peas and Lettuce

Bed #8 Peas and Lettuce and container Carrots

Bed #9 Sweet corn too tiny to see

Bed #10 ready for cucumbers

Bed #11 Sweet Corn seeded

Bed #12 ready for Cucumbers

You can see my three trays of cucumbers, summer squash and cantaloupes above.  Some years I have a devil of a time getting these to germinate.  Not this year.  I barely know how to react to this unprecedented degree of success.  Now I just have to keep them from damping off before they get transplanted.  The inch and a half of rain the other day already killed a small percentage but those have been reseeded.

Bed #1:  Cole Crops growing (set out 4/15)
Bed #2: Replacement Strawberries growing and room for extra Cukes
Bed #3: Ready for Summer Squash transplants(seeded in pots 5/22)
Bed #4: Ready for Cantaloupe transplants (seeded in pots 5/22)
Bed #5: One row of bush beans planted 5/20
Bed #6: Soil warming for Pole Beans
Bed #7: Peas planted with Lettuce (3/15 and 4/1)
Bed #8: Peas planted with Lettuce (4/15 and 4/29)
Bed #9: Sweet Corn planted 5/20
Bed #10: Ready for Slicing and Pickling Cucumbers (seeded in pots 5/22)
Bed #11: Sweet Corn planted 5/29
Bed #12: Ready for Bush Cucumbers (seeded in pots 5/22)
Random corners: Sweet Potatoes growing (5/23 and 5/26)

Containers: Tomatoes growing
Peppers growing (5/20)
Carrots growing (3/15 reseeded as necessary)
Two varieties of Potatoes growing (5/7)
Sweet Potatoes growing (5/23 and 5/26)

I have four varieties of tomatoes potted up here and one pot of peppers

Sweet Potato Slips (baskets to keep mulch away)

Potatoes doing well

Quite well in fact
Since I ended up with so many nice sweet potato slips from my first attempt at sprouting them, I just kept planting.  Anywhere I had some deep, workable soil I poked one in.  We have two rabbits who feed on clover in the lawn so I put baskets over these slips until they are big enough to outgrow bunny munching, then I will spray them. 


Also on this bank are a spare Instant Karma elderberry bush that will move to one of two places, and some weed potatoes from last year that I am leaving to grow.  Besides the potatoes there are also some stray horseradish roots from the clump to the right.  I'll leave them until I dig the potatoes and if they are large enough to use that will be a bonus.

Instant Karma on the left and weed potatoes to its right

See how pitiful the strawberry plants look?
 The only thing I can think of with the strawberries is that they did not like being mulched in with leaves.  They are producing berries, but when they are done I will pull the plants, turn the leaves in and prepare the bed for the new transplants which are growing very well.

Spray Paint was on sale so the cages got a facelift.

Elsewhere in the landscape things are growing by leaps and bounds but there isn't a lot of color yet.  The daylilies are starting to show buds and I am working on adding Marigolds to blank spaces


Its a great year for Peonies.  The Itoh that had one bloom last year (its third year) has over a dozen buds.  The Sorbet that did so nicely last year with an unprecedented 20+ blooms probably has 50 or more buds this year.  I've given up counting and now am just worrying about supporting the stems.


The Petticoats Peach Geums that I mail ordered a few years ago to plant along the deck are looking doing fantastic and covered in blooms.  This is nice early show for late spring and much needed color in a sea of green.

Geum

I put a row of Marigolds along the front which are tiny now but will grow fast.

The Dahlias I am planting instead of Geraniums this year are putting on good growth already. 
Both the Marigolds and Dahlias will require constant vigilance to protect them from slugs.

I hope everyone has a good holiday weekend and that your gardens do well this year.  It won't be a perfect year but I am expecting some new fun things to do well for me.

6 comments:

  1. Your garden is beautiful. Where did you purchase the hoop sets supporting the row covers, and the baskets covering various plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the hoops are black water pipe from Home Dept but the ones over the cucumber trays are from Gardeners.com The baskets are wastebaskets from the Dollar store. Sometimes you can find bigger ones

      Delete
  2. Amazing! You are such an expert! We are eating spinach and our 1200 garlic plants are over 3 feet high. Onions are doing well, snow peas are climbing, little strawberries are forming, carrots are peaking out and Gary has planted yellow beans, beets, San Marzano tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, romaine and I can't remember what else. Still have to do cucumbers....may have to steal your idea with the frame. Your set up is ideal and I wish we could do something like that. It's going to be 90 and buggy today....stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the BUGS! I rarely kill them but I am currently sick of jumping spiders and ants and taking no prisoners

      Delete
  3. You're so far ahead of me! But what's new, eh? What are "weed potatoes?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Weed potatoes" are like "Seed potatoes" only they are leftover from last year. A weed is anything that you didn't intend to plant right?

      Delete