Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Tent City

 I have row covers set up everywhere.  Its not exactly a quaint, picturesque, potager.  Things look much more ~ industrial.  But I'm tired of messing around with a few things.  And once you figure things out, you repeat the process.  My first planting of sweet corn came up fine and dandy.  The second planting, not at all.  I think the mourning doves found it.  I saw Mr. Mourning Dove roosting on the garden shed overnight.  He probably had baby corn sprouts for breakfast each morning before I got out there.  I had already reordered the corn seed and since it was showing "out for delivery" today, I attacked the bed with a rake and did not find a single. solitary. corn seed.  Sunofah...  I replanted it and I covered it well with hoops and a floating row cover.


Bed #1:  Cole Crops growing (set out 4/15)
Bed #2: Replacement Strawberries growing and room for extra Cukes
A spare tomato plant and Ranunculus flowers blooming

Bed #3: Summer Squash transplanted 06/06 and 06/08
Bed #4: Cantaloupe transplanted today 06/08

Bed #5: two rows of Bush Beans coming up slowly
Bed #6: Pole Beans planted around 06/03
Center treated with pre-emergent corn gluten experiment to keep down weeds

Bed #7: Peas planted with Lettuce (4/15 and 4/29)

Bed #8: Peas planted with Lettuce (3/15 and 4/1) 
Peas flowering and lettuce harvesting

Bed #9: Sweet Corn planted 5/20
Some fill in seeds protected from Mr. Dove with baskets

Last year I had great luck protecting my second cucumbers with a row cover.  Last year's first planting was defeated by cucumber beetles and died before they really had a chance to flower.  This year I went straight to the covers.  I have a row down each side.  Two varieties of slicers and two varieties of pickling cucumbers.  I need to make sweet pickles this year.

Bed #10: Slicing and Pickling Cucumbers transplanted 06/08

Bed #11: Sweet Corn replanted today 06/08

Bed #12:Soil warming for Bush Cucumbers (seeded in pots 5/22)

Example of tomatoes

Peppers really greening up and flowering

some Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

Today was entirely taken up by transplanting and engineering protection from current and potential threats.  You can't get complacent.  You never know when a new bird or insect will discover the goodies and have a feast in the early morning before you even leave the house.  You have to observe the signs and come up with a plan tout de suite.  Unless we can somehow cover the whole thing with a bio-dome I will have to cover things one bed at a time.

2 comments:

  1. You've got this down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Yep! And yep! Everything looks happy and warm.
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete