Thursday, November 2, 2023

Misc Fall Chores

 It has been cold for a few days.  Light snow.  Some sunshine.  I am adapting to a more indoor routine, but still need to get outside a play a little every day.  When the sun is shining I am enticed out to button up some random odds and ends.


I put a frost cover over the two whiskey barrels full of Heuchera.  Heuchera are evergreen and do not like to be cut back.  And that makes them vulnerable to bored and hungry deer in the winter.  The deer had already begun to munch on some of the longer leaves that they could get to around the edges of the grid that I have suspended over them, so I went ahead and covered them.  The frost cover is well ventilated and will allow moisture through.  

The Heuchera in Summer.
Yup, that looks like a tasty salad.


I had finished shoveling the compost pile from right to left.  Now I am half way through shoveling it back from left to right.  The center of the left hand pile is still quite dense, so every day or two I use a fork to break up and aerate a portion and then use a shovel to tidy up and move the loose material to the pile on the right.


I sprayed the Alberta Spruce with Wilt Stop and wrapped it in burlap.  This is to block the wind and help keep the bush from drying out and browning.  These are not big jobs I just want to get them done before the weather gets too cold.  It gives me a reason to go out and get some fresh air a few times a week.

4 comments:

  1. That wrapped tree would make an excellent Halloween decoration, with the addition of a face and some strategic lighting!
    Darn deer. They are doing some nibbling here as well. Once we get about 7 inches of snow, they will all head south to the deer yard.
    Got the dahlia tuber cleaned and dried. What a huge beast it was! I have a nice pail of sieved compost in a frost-free, low temp. environment. They are in it. It will be an experiment for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deer yard... now that's a concept. I think all of our deer ought to go to a wintering ground instead of making the rounds each night and looking in the windows

      Delete
  2. I'm lucky that, so far, my dogs have kept the deer away pretty much from our property. You've inspired me to go turn my own compost pile. Thanks for the reminder!
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need a farm dog on patrol. It would help a lot

      Delete