Saturday, October 12, 2024

Coleus Cuttings

 Since I had such good luck with propagating Coleus from cuttings this spring, I have decided to give it a whirl this winter.  My hope would be to keep a few plants indoors that could either be set out or have cuttings taken from them in early spring.  The frost burned plants were looking a little rough but I was able to find enough side shoots at the base to take for cuttings.


I mixed up 50/50 compost and fine vermiculite and watered it well with a watering can.  The vermiculite will stay moist, and the compost will give them some nutrients.  I removed the lower leaves, and dipped the stem in rooting hormone.  Them I made a hole in the cell, inserted the stem, and firmed the mix down around them to make good contact with the stem.  I placed the cells in a solid tray so I can bottom water them.  I set them in the shade for the afternoon and today I am putting them in under a LED grow light.  This spring I had no trouble with them wilting, but if that were to happen, I may need to put a moisture dome over them.


I took 24 cuttings.  In about a month I will see if they are rooting, and if so, I will transplant them into larger cells with potting mix.  Yes, there is a cost to overwintering plants, but 24 El Brighto Coleus would cost at least $120 in a nursery or $240 mail order.  Hopefully some of these plants will look good in the spring, or at least provide more cuttings.


No comments:

Post a Comment