Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Frost on the Pumpkin

 We had a good frost this morning, quite a few degrees colder than the first frost on Sept 25th.  This is right on time and welcome.  I am ready for the next season.

I am hoping to save one of each of my black pepper plants under a grow light this winter.  However, I do not want to play the watch for frost game, worrying about whether to bring them in or not. For a few more weeks anyway. They belong there by the steps.  It is warmer near the house with radiant heat from the driveway.  If they make it they make it.  If not, too bad, so sad.  I ditched the cornstalks after a week of soggy weather because they looked absolutely awful, but these Dracaena spikes were still looking nice.

I am actually looking forward to frost on the Dahlias.  Over the past couple of years I have noted that newly purchased tubers I plant do awesome the first year, blooming early and profusely.  And then in years after they dwindle.  Not in all cases, but often.  Some of this could be due to the fact that I did not fertilize the Dahlia beds this year.  I plan on dumping a whole bag of Garden-Tone in them next spring.  But, my theory is that I am not handling my tubers correctly in the fall.  The larger Dahlia farms wait until a killing frost to begin digging tubers.  The frost tells the plant to stop producing flowers and start storing energy for next year.  It is sort of like removing Daffodil foliage too early.  You won't get blooms the next year.  That is my theory anyway.  I need to wait longer to begin digging tubers.

Ice Tea

No frost on these yet.  They may wait to show some damage until this afternoon, but what I need is enough frost to kill the leaves.  Last year our first killing frost was Oct 27th.  I dug the Bee's Choice Dahlias after that and they are performing well this year.

Hootenany

I already moved my Coleus cuttings indoors after that first light frost. 


When they start to show some good roots I move them over to the soil in the cells.


Coleus are so sensitive to cold that they begin dropping leaves and I have already pulled all of the Coleus that was in the garden.  These cuttings are all I am going to get.  I will lose some throughout the winter, but I think I have a large enough selection to have a good start next spring.  After they establish well in their cells I will bump them up to 3.5" pots.


No comments:

Post a Comment