Thursday, September 2, 2021

The Fall Garden

 September has arrived with cool nights and clear, warm, dry days.  Such a welcome relief from the hottest August on record.  That's what the Buffalo weather man said and although our weather is not always the same as Buffalo's, I'm not going to dispute it.  It was HOT.  What a Summer.  First we get the wettest July on record and then the hottest August.  Stick a fork in me I'm done!

I have a nice, fresh little fall garden going with beans, cabbage and lettuce.  Although at this point in the year I am looking forward to the garden winding down, it is always nice to have a little something looking young and perfect.  These are Jade bush beans.  I planted them two seeds together and put grow thru grids on them and today I pulled the grids further up the plant to support them better.  They are over knee high and beginning to bean.  They will produce until frost and I am prepared to put a frost cover on them.  Right now they are covered with insect mesh because of the Cabbage.

Such a tidy little bed with leaf mulch

A nice lush Jade Bean Plant

Violaceo de Verona Cabbage

Some wittle bitty lettuces transplanted yesterday

Mahon Yam Sweet Potato wooly monster

Clarimore Summer Squash almost ready to flower

Half of my garden beds are resting already so I am half way to being buttoned up for winter.

Potato bed resting with Buckwheat cover crop

Sweet Corn bed mulched and resting.
I covered it with burlap to prevent the shredded corn stalk mulch from
blowing aroundespecially when we begin blowing leaves.

Lima Bean Bed
It is time to start picking these, one month later than their specified maturity date.
Because they twiddled around growing into monsterous vines for so many weeks!

The Cucumber Bed looking a little ragged

But producing just fine.
Marketmore Cucumber

Sweet Corn Bed resting with mulch
and a few lettuce plants.  I still am considering it at rest.

Pea Bed resting with Buckwheat cover crop
I cut the buckwheat down last week and am expecting it to reseed itself.

Cauliflower Bed resting with Buckwheat cover crop

Broccoli and Cabbage Bed still at work under there

Fall Garden with Beans and Cabbages

Pole Bean Bed catching its second wind

Summer Squash Bed resting with Buckwheat cover crop

Old Bean Bed producing heavily.
These plants are pretty gnarly and I am looking forward to pulling them out.

Not a pretty time of year for tomato plants

I started digging potatoes out of the Tater Patch
because I need to overwinter some perennials there

We added topsoil to the transition between the lawn and the tree project.
We're looking forward to being done with this for the year.

The Profusion Zinnia bed

I pulled some tired Petunias out of the Whiskey Barrels
and replaced them with untrimmed 6" Mums from Home Depot

There is still plenty of things to do out there right now.  I am beginning to divide daylilies and I have some mail order perennials one their way.  At least I can do my gardening without melting every day.



2 comments:

  1. Just lovely! Question: it seems you do not rotate crops . . . what is your reasoning for this? Thanks!
    --Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melanie, I started answering this and it turned into a blog! Quick answer is: I do and I don't. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation :)

    ReplyDelete