Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Looking Ahead to Spring - Tulips

I love tulips, but those of us who have heavy deer pressure have to be careful because tulips are a whitetail's absolute favorite snack.  Sometimes I plant them right up against the house or in containers, but I don't think I've ever actually planted them in my raised beds.  When I did my layout and planting dates for next year I realized that I have a couple of beds that I won't need to plant until July 1st.  Well that would be a perfect spot for tulips!  I can enjoy them in the garden and I won't feel as bad about cutting them and bringing them into the house as I do when they are in the landscape.


I ordered myself a Power Planter Bulb & Bedding Plant Auger (3"x7") and over the past few days I've planted seventy bulbs in this bed.  The auger makes short work of it and will also be useful for planting annual transplants.  I have about two and a half feet of empty space at the end for some spring planted bulbs like anemones or ranunculus.


These are the varieties I chose

Charming Beauty


Gudoshnik Double Late Mix

Parrot King

I haven't made a final decision on the spring planted bulbs, 
but these are the ones that I will likely choose from

De Caen Midnight Mix

Ranunculus Super Green Mix

Freesia



No comments:

Post a Comment