Sunday, February 20, 2022

Mail Order Plants

 This post is a little premature.  I don't have all of the photos I would like to have to do a true expose' on mail ordering live plants.  But this is the time of year when I am thinking a lot about it.  So this is a place marker and a promise to do a more informative post.  

Yes, I mail order live plants.  And yes, it works out well.  I'm not talking about bulbs or corms or tubers or other bare root applications but actual green, growing annuals and perennials.  In this day and age when you can see examples of all of these beautiful plants on line it can be frustrating when you can't find the exact plant you have researched.  

Case in point, my Petticoats Peach Geum.  Naturally, I fell in love with a photo.  I really love peachy pink flowers.  Not pink.  Not yellow.  Peach.  I wanted peach Geums for a few years.  I searched high and low.  I could find a few Geums locally, but they were usually red or possibly tangerine and I don't love red flowers and I have plenty of orange.  I like them.  But I love peach colored flowers.  And the color palette around the house is much too soft for red flowers.  I've made that mistake before.


Below is the new garden bed we put in the summer 2020.  I put in divisions from my day lilies and Clematis bush so it would be cohesive with the bed next to it.  I planted some Carex grass for texture and put in a lot of different types of spring bulbs.  But I wanted something new that I don't already have anywhere else, and one of those things is Geum.


I ordered four peach Geum from Bluestone Perennials.  They came in the fall which is a good time for relocating or adding perennials.  They were just little guys in 3.5" pots.  That is the one thing you sort of have to get used to when mail ordering live plants.  You will be paying a higher price for a smaller pot and usually a trimmed down plant.  You would not normally go to a local store and pay $18 for a little pot.  You would probably be buying a gallon pot at that price.  But be patient for a few months.  You aren't buying for today. You are paying for convenience.  You are paying for relative rarity.  You are paying for growing potential.

Geum when first planted fall 2020

And this is what they became.

July 2021

Geum Petticoats Peach is supposed to grow 10"-12" tall and wide.  They are a compact plant with leaves similar to Geranium.  The flowers are about an inch in diameter and hover above the plant mound on delicate stems.  They spread outwards and can be divided every few years.


If you really have your heart set on something you can only get mail order, take a chance.  I've had good luck with Bluestone, Garden Crossings and Proven Winners.  I do not rely heavily on mail ordering live plants, but I tend to treat myself every year to something or other.  I have more hard to find items on order and next time I get a shipment I will take photos of the packaging so you can see how its done.  Before I tried it I couldn't imagine how a tender plant could be safely transported.  And of course now and then you might be unfortunate in weather or shipping delays.  Lord knows I would have preferred not to receive the Chilly Pear Tree a week before a May snow storm,  But for the most part its a viable option.  I am looking forward to seeing my Geum imerge for the snow bank


1 comment:

  1. Really appreciate this info regarding mail ordering live plants. And the names of companies you recommend. In the past I've hesitated ordering much more than live fruit trees because of not knowing how the live plants would survive shipping . . . and the price. As you say, $18 for a 3.5" potted bloomer seems way out of line, but with your explanation I totally understand what you're saying.

    ReplyDelete