Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Great Gobs of Garden Snow

 It is snowing Chunks right now.  I'm done with my fiddling around and I'm sipping tomato soup and getting ready to throw my wet clothes in the wash.  The snow started just as I went out for my walk.  I was already dressed and warmed up so I grabbed an umbrella and headed out.  I usually do three laps to the dead end and back (three miles).  I did one and headed to the workout room to finish with a YouTube workout.  Then I headed to the garden shed to check on things.



Its really kind of pretty.


Especially since it is supposed to be near 70 this weekend.


Problem:  It is 37F in the garden shed (and pretty much everywhere else).  I have not moved my Dahlia tubers into the bulkhead for the winter.  Because in 70F and sunshine, the metal bulkhead can heat up quite a lot.  I'm not ready to move them there yet and I have no desire to bring them in and then take them back out again. So I got out my thermostat controlled heat mat and set it to 50F.  Then I threw some kneelers on the floor for insulation, and wrapped the pad under and over the main tub and set the others on top of the mat.  I topped it off with a tarp over the whole thing.  I'll go check it later and see how that is working and whether or not I need to reposition the sensor so I don't cook them.



3 comments:

  1. Holy smokes! And they have been saying that our little dusting of snow was unusually early this year. If you do get up to the 70s this weekend, it is going to confuse a lot of growing trees/plants/etc.! Hope your dahlia tubers make it with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Please don't send it this way tonight......

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’re set for a dusting ourselves this weekend. I’ve been busy trying to put the garden to bed this week. Harvested potatoes today and watermelon tomorrow.
    —Melanie

    ReplyDelete