Sunday, October 2, 2022

How a Landscape Changes

 I was just fiddling around in my Blog history and other pictures and found this.  Over the past 19 years, my garden and landscape has changed a lot.  There are some plants that have moved two or three times, and areas continue to be reworked and overhauled.  This is what the natural edge where the lovely Asters are growing used to look like.

As planted 2015

As growing 2022
All of the old pictures in this post are from the 2015 post Extreme Weeding.  The area looked so fresh and tidy.  But at this point, nothing short of a backhoe and a load of fresh soil will change it.  We have both but...

The back of the compost area was also newly conceived t that point.  The light colored Brunnera is now vanished, but the two Hosta are still good and being divided and used.  The round, light edged Hosta in the upper left is in it's second location there and last year I divided and moved it again.  I think I'd like to try more Brunnera.  Obviously not in this spot.


That forlorn little mass of red in the center of all the Myrtle is a Heuchera

A portion of the large, all green Hosta from the Right Plant in the Right Place 
It will be beautiful next year, and the original plant will be better off as well.


The little red Heuchera is thriving in its new home on the corner of the chicken coop.  The chartreuse one is in its second location having been relocated from near the house last year.

May version of the Happy Heuchera
The red one had to be dug up (again) last month to repair the downspout but it didn't mind much.
See what a beautiful color the other one is when its fresh?

I'm always moving things.  Sometimes it takes awhile to find the right conditions and sometimes conditions just change.  But that's the fun of gardening.  You can always change it.

2 comments:

  1. You are an encouragement to me in showing that one can dig up and re-home plants without disastrous results! Already, despite very careful planning (is there such a thing?), we are seeing that some of the plantings in our new berm boxes will have to be moved. But, as you say, that's the fun (and learning!) of gardening. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I move things a lot. I can't think of any specific examples where I've killed anything. If it needs to be moved its trying to die anyway. I don't put a lot of effort into it, I just grab a shovel and dig. I call it "propagation by abuse". Shrubs are a bit more difficult just because of their size but even those don't die too easily.

      Delete