Sunday, January 7, 2024

Snow

I was ready for some snow.  It has been damp and gloomy since before Christmas.  I mean, there is cloud cover and then there is cloud cover.  Last Wednesday it was so dark, dank and dismal that the cold was seeping through my ears and chilling my brain.  I was wearing a polar fleece headband around the house.  I made Tollhouse cookies.  That was the only way to save the day.


This morning I took the above picture.  Below is a photo from January 3rd, 2014.  I am amazed at how many background trees we have lost to the emerald ash borer.



I zoomed in a little to see if it shows better.  We have lost all of the larger trunks.  In the wide shot it looks as if the woods in the back is looming over the little trees.  That is not just because the trees were so small.  The woods was much closer to the lawn.  There is now a rough cut meadow area in the foreground.

The garden is sound asleep under the blanket of snow.  This won't last long.  The ground is wet and we have warmer temperatures on the way.  I would prefer, for the sake of the soil, that the ground remained damp and snow covered, but by this time next week, it will again be bare and frozen.

 
This week in the mail I received an order of flower seeds.  I bought pansies and primrose.  Both of those are cold tolerant, early plants.  In a week or two I will start the seeds with the intention of freeing up my grow light by mid-March for the cole crops.

How's this for a shot of spring color?


2 comments:

  1. I've been reading a lot of bloggers like you that live in regions that normally have a lot of snow bemoaning the gray, damp, dismal weather so far this year. Welcome to winter in Seattle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and its not the first year. I have no problem with a humdinger of a snowstorm followed by days so bright even sunglasses aren't enough. This day in day out cloud cover stinks.

      Delete