Monday, February 19, 2024

Good for Another Hundred Years

 I have finished caning the dining room chairs.  I ended up doing six total.  There was the first Ugly Chair that we had at the table.  Then I repaired the ruined one that had sat up in the attic. We picked up a few extras to round out our set of eight and ended up with nine matching chairs.  All but three of them had some degree of damage to the seats.


I enjoyed spending an afternoon in the woodshop.  I would put an audio book on my can speaker and arrange my tools and spend a couple of hours pulling cane.


I did three last spring and three this winter.  There is only room for six around the table, so now we have three extra chairs tucked here and there around the house.


The sixth chair is the one that I am most proud of.  I finally got neat little Xs around all four sides.  There may be a wayward strand here or there, but for the most part this is an example of a competent caning job.


I still have this oddball round, red chair to do for fun. Since I have been putting photos up on Facebook, I have had a few local friends mention that they have chairs that need to be repaired.  It might be fun to do one now and then.





5 comments:

  1. Wow! Those are beautiful chairs.
    —Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caned one chair like that. The experience will last me a lifetime. You did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. If there was any money to be made I would go get more auction chairs. But the only market for it is repairing family heirlooms.

      Delete
  3. Those are just beautiful. Great learning a new skill. You must be so proud of them.

    ReplyDelete