Saturday, March 19, 2022

A Rainy Robiny Kind of Morning

 Our good weather is past and now we're back to more Spring-like weather.  The yard is rainy, wormy, robiny and muddy.  Full of oozy smells.  


In our two warm days I got the peas and lettuce and two varieties of carrots sown.  I broadcast Milorganite slow release fertilizer into all of the ground cover areas and made a methodical search for dandelions.  This is the best time of year to remove them from ground cover and any established clumps of perennials.  While I was crawling around out there I also picked up any oak leaves that were catching in corners.

I dug my heuchera plants in deeper in the landscape since those like to heave themselves out of the ground each year and I potted up my new shrubs in gallon fiber pots.  They will be fine now until I find their permanent locations.  I also placed a thermometer in the cold frame and unboxed all of the new garden supplies that have been accumulating on the counter in the garden shed.  And now its back into the house until the next round of warm weather.


Last Sunday (3/14) I seeded Cauliflower, Broccoli, two kinds of Cabbage and Hot Peppers under the grow lights in the basement.  The Cauliflower have already popped up and the cabbages are just starting.

Parting Shot:  My favorite daylily




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip on the heuchera plants as I just ordered my first three of them. When you say you dug them in, can you explain what that means, please? Did you actually lift the whole plant and reset them in a little deeper? 'Twould be good for me to know and make a note in my landscaping book as to how to do that for the future. Thanks!

    P.S. That daylily is the most attractive one I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I lifted the whole plant and reset it deeper. I got the tip here on Gardening with Creekside: https://youtu.be/N8unSHAFDYA

      Delete