Sunday, March 27, 2022

Current Situation

 This is why we wanted to play outside in the mud when we got some spring like weather.


But indoors we soldier on.  


I have six Flame Star cauliflower doing awesome (above far right) and already transplanted out of their seed cell in another tray (below).  


One Diplomat broccoli (upper right cell) trying to sprout from old seeds and I reseeded yesterday.  I have one very nice Golden Acre cabbage seedling (above bottom left) and the second seed I sowed tried to sprout upside down (root in the air) and I moved it to the cell on the right where it seems to be figuring things out.  One Violaceo di Verona seed sprouted sluggishly (above center right) and I seeded more yesterday.  This is the hassle with sowing directly into cells without the plan to transplant as I did the Flame Star cauliflower.  You would think I'd learn

I also sowed hot peppers directly into cells (grow light photo center tray).  I only got 3 plants from 6 seeds, but that is fine.  I just have three empty cells that will drive me nutty. The seedlings look really nice and they are going into a 15 gallon pot so 3 plants will be plenty.   I will sow tomato seeds in a couple of weeks.  This winter blast has reminded me that spring is not here yet and a cold frame can be a difficult thing to manage in April.  

I have made a few temperature related plans for managing the cold frame more reliably than I did in 2020.  But I don't want to get ahead of myself if this is going to be another difficult spring.  I remember one year, 2012 I believe, we had all of the edging and mulching done by the end of March and I had tilled and planted the tater patch.  I hope we don't have snow in May for the third year in a row.

1 comment:

  1. When don't we have a "difficult" spring in these northern climes?? Last year on March 21st, my husband finished pruning all the apple trees. This year he'd have had to do it with snowshoes on. Plus, another big dump of snow predicted for this coming mid-week.

    The starting of seeds inside is one part of gardening I'm not crazy about. It seems so much more temperamental than plopping the seeds in the warm soil outside!

    ReplyDelete