Thursday, March 31, 2022

PreEmergent Experiment

 In two of my raised beds I have a problem with purslane weeds.  Each year I weed it and manage it but the following year it comes up from whatever seeds are left.  Last year I intended to use a preemergent control but didn't get around to it.  This year we are going to give it a shot.


Corn gluten meal  is derived from the part of the corn kernel that is not used when making corn meal. It is commonly used to control weeds. The oily coating on the corn gluten meal doesn’t allow plant roots to form, so newly germinated seedlings die.  I purchased 10 pounds of corn gluten meal on line and I wanted to get it spread before the seeds started to germinate.


The worst bed is one that I am planning to plan cauliflower and cabbage seedlings in this year.  I won't be seeding anything and I don't want to have to weed every week.


I spread three scoops of the corn gluten meal and today's rain should begin to activate it.  It should be good for five or six weeks and then I will spread a second batch.  I'll let you know if it helps.


It is another soggy day out.  I managed to dodge the raindrops. 


It was also quite warm out and I got a few other things done in the garden.
I set out my pre-sprouted ranunculus corms.   I'll run you through that project when it is complete.  Our weather is supposed to be very normal for the next week with no artic blasts forecasted.  I was sort of hesitant to set out the corms this early.  I wondered if I should pot a few up separately and put them in the cold frame but  thought - "no, I did the research and laid out these dates and I'm sticking to them.  If they don't work out then I'll have to try something else next year."  In for a penny, in for a pound.


This time of year when the ground is soft is also a good time to do some driveway maintenance.  The guys had a tractor ballet going next door scraping the crown out of the neighbor's driveway with a box scraper and taking the material away.


It looked like a bit of a mucky mess, but they took a lot of used gravel out and used it as fill in other areas and then laid down fresh gravel.


Afterwards it was flat and fresh and ready for summer.


This is the first year I have been able to enjoy crocuses during the day.  The blooms only open up when it is sunny.  When I worked I only got to see them on the weekends.  Now I get to enjoy them on any sunny day.




No comments:

Post a Comment