Monday, August 22, 2022

The Rain Makes a Mess of Things

 Rain is wonderful stuff, I've had to water a lot less, and my water tank is full.  But with rain you get rain related maintenance that has to be done.  


Can you see the two Bumble Bees embedded in this flower?
They are sheltering from the all night rain.

The ornamental grasses are just now "flowering" and any rain can lay them out flat in every direction.


A quick tie with some twine will straighten things up until they dry.


This big grass below (five feet tall) was over flat on its side yesterday.  I hurried to get a pitchfork and shook all of the water out.  Then I bear-hugged it into a piece of twine.


I wish I had trimmed the Buckwheat before this happened but I was waiting on the next bed to come into full bloom.


I went ahead and trimmed it today.  The pollinators simply moved on but they weren't as happy with the little flowers as they had been with the mature ones.


The monster tomato plant is now a weeping tomato plant.  It won't hurt it much.  There wasn't much to be done.  I could have put a tie around it at seven feet, but the support isn't that tall and if the top started to lean it could have pulled the whole thing over.


Harvest time again.  Just in time for the next rainstorm.


This corn is absolutely gorgeous.  We have picked 28 ears so far.  I'm expecting to get four dozen from this one bed.  These went straight to the freezer.


Perfect pollination!

1 comment:

  1. We can't have it both ways. There has been a very heavy downpour for the past two days around 5pm and we really needed it. Lori

    ReplyDelete