Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Winding Down - August on the Way Out

 It is beginning to feel a bit fall-like out there.  The nights are cool again.  The daytime skies are full of high, cumulous clouds.  The garden is winding down.  I am starting to mulch the empty beds with compost in preparation for winter.


The tomato plants are getting a good pruning.  At this point I am not looking for any new set fruit.  I just want the large tomatoes to ripen on the vine.


Things are starting to look a little tired.  


The cantaloupes continue to be outstanding.  Each one is sweeter than the last.


This is the time of year when the Marigolds really shine.
They keep me from wanting to buy Mums.

Strawberry Blonde

Disco Mix

Vanilla

At this point I have three beds completely put to bed.  Two beds half done half producing.  Four beds in Buckwheat ready to trim.  I have the pole beans that could be pulled but I am picking a meal from them now and then.  One corn bed is drying in preparation for the chipper shredder and one bed of corn is ready to start picking.

No comments:

Post a Comment