Wednesday, July 5, 2023

My Morning View

Every morning I start my day by looking out the bedroom window at our landscape.  The height and form of this tall grass is starting to bother me.  I am not a huge fan of upright, pillar-like grasses.  The variety is called Overdam.  I have one really positive thing to say about it:  It's an early grass.  These have looked great starting in April when other varieties were still thinking about whether they would live or die this year.  They are much taller now than last year.  I'm going to give them some time to put out more lower leaves and soften their silhouette a little.  Maybe pairing them with a grouping of wispier, shorter grass like Niagara Falls or Hameln would soften the look.


The grasses everywhere else are looking amazing.  I am particularly enjoying this view with the orangey red daylilies repeating the color of the Heuchera in the whiskey barrel, the rusty fish cut outs and the burgundy Ninebark bush.


My new favorite color scheme is black, red and chartreuse foliage.  I am paying a lot more attention to foliar color and texture, adding some new interesting plants I've never tried before and starting a list of ideas for next spring.



My four in one pear tree did not manage to hold any fruit through that late frost.  Free from the drain of fruit, it is putting on some really nice new growth which makes me just as happy.


Yesterday the cucumbers began to flower so I turned them loose from their row cover.


The cantaloupes are taking off and beginning to flower as well.
I remove their cover each morning and cover them again at night to hold the heat.

Note that the plant closest to the open end has not put on as much growth
as the ones further back in the tunnel

The Vegetable Garden in the cool of the morning


No comments:

Post a Comment