Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Planning for Next Year

 Throughout the year I make mental notes of what needs to be divided, relocated or replaced.  Late summer is when I start to divide and relocate.  If something needs to be replaced, I have to make plans for adding something next year.  Sometimes, the garden bed will look so different in the spring that it is difficult to picture what you knew needed to be done when you could see the garden bed in its summer state.  That is where photos come in handy.  This is the area around the Gala Apple Tree that I planted in the spot vacated by the old Lilac bush.  I have put a few things here - divisions of Primrose, a relocated Peony, a newly purchased Amsonia.  I still have two spaces that need a summer perennial.

 

I took the photo to remind me, and I placed a blue arrow where I want to put something mid-sized and blue,I think Caryopteris.  Secondly, something very deer proof, due to its vulnerable location, and reddish, I think Burgundy Bunny Fountain Grass.   I will put these plants on my Wishlist and wait to see if they go on sale sometime before spring.

I went through this same process last year, making the plan for the east end of the Riverbed, and carrying out the plan this summer when we planted four perennials.  It has taken nearly a year for the plan to come to fruition.

The end result of adding "red" and "yellow".  Next year it should be more dramatic.  Then I can judge if I need just a little something more like Black Eyed Susan.

It will be at least a year before my plan to fill in behind the apple tree can be appreciated, but it is always nice to have a little space to fill in the garden.

Lemon Squeeze Fountain Grass the "yellow" element recently planted


1 comment: