Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Seedlings


The eggplants and peppers are doing well, and the tomatoes were planted last night. How many bad things can happen while carrying a flat of wet seed starter from the kitchen sink, down what can only be called a glorified ladder, into the basement? Plenty I'm sure, but miraculously, I didn't get any dirt or water anywhere.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate thinning seedlings? It's best to do it early before you get too attached. But, how do you know you're doing the right thing? How do you know you won't need that plant? How do you know you saved the right one? Uggh... I hate it.

Someone please remind me next year to leave the Rosa Bianca eggplants off the list. I simply can't stand the suspense. They were the last to germinate again this year. Only one of 4 seeds came up. I transplanted a vigorous White Lightening in the blank space instead of killing it, so at least I got to save one thinling.

No comments:

Post a Comment