Saturday, April 2, 2022

5 Reasons Why I'm Not Growing Potatoes in Raised Beds | Growing Potatoes...

 This popped up in my YouTube feed today and I really enjoyed it.  He talks about prioritizing garden space, managing soil health, improving cost to output potential and maximizing your joy of gardening.  These are the things we have to take into consideration when we plan our crops.  It follows closely to my own feelings on potatoes.


This year I ordered a small amount of seed potatoes, less than I ever have.  I am planting them in 7 gallon grow bags.  Because I am growing in containers, I have to take into account the cost of soil and/or soil amendments when planning my potato crop.  I chose my favorite white potato "Satina" that we enjoy as salt potatoes when they are new.  

I don't have a really good storage place for potatoes.  They do fine for a few months so I need to moderate the amount that I plant with plans to store.  I've already chucked that last of our wrinkly potatoes a few weeks ago.  I love digging new potatoes and it is satisfying to put some away for storage, but in the deep dark winter I still get a lot of joy from bringing home an inexpensive bag of fresh, clean potatoes from the store.

2 comments:

  1. I too, have switched to growing potatoes in containers. For me the problem is I am never able to get every little potato when we dig. Then the next year if I want to rotate another crop in the bed, there are potatoes coming up all over and crowding out what I want in the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is impossible to find every last potato from the ground. On the plus side, the leftovers produce an early spring crop of new potatoes that can be dug if you can put off planting the next crop for a few weeks. Now that I only grow in containers, I do miss my "weed potatoes"

      Delete