Thursday, April 28, 2022

A Totally Average Day

 Finally the temperatures are back to "normal".  It was cold and snowy all day yesterday, never getting out of the 30s. But this morning dawned bright and clear and the temps have been in the mid-40s which is average for our April.  For a change I didn't have to worry about anything being too hot or too cold.  Everything was just as it should be.


It always amazes me when I plant cole crops out in cold, crappy weather and the next day they are standing up green and eager to grow.  I can tell these have all rooted in well and are already beginning to put on some new growth.


The peas were a little flat after that heavy snow and the second lettuce seeding is still being a bit careful but no harm done. The last row of peas goes in tomorrow. The carrots are looking awesome.

Nantes Half Long Carrots

I potted up my Caladium and Begonia tubers today.


This is my first time for these and they look great.  They are all big, healthy tubers and starting to show growth at the eyes.  I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out.  They are destined for containers which normally have store-bought annuals in them, and I can store them over the winter for next season.

They look like big hairy donuts.
The sprouts are pink and the white stuff is the shavings they were packed in

I transplanted four varieties of Marigolds, two dozen each of Fireball, Strawberry Blonde, Durango Outback Mix and Snowball.  Marigolds are my favorite fill in annual so I always like to have a bunch ready to go.  You can buy a packet of 50 seeds for little more than a 6 pack of plants cost.  This is the first time I've grown them from seed and I was amazed at how quickly they germinated and grew.  If they are this easy then its a no-brainer.


Soon the Tulips will be in bloom



1 comment:

  1. Your tulips look ready to pop! They will be beautiful in that bed. And maybe a couple/few bouquets in the house?

    ReplyDelete