Thursday, August 10, 2023

Preventative Measures

If I were to ignore this pot of peppers, I would soon come out to find it broken over and dying.  Pepper plants are rather woody and tend to snap under the weight of the peppers.  Especially after a rain.  There are five plants in this mass, and I was running short on grow thru grids so this pot didn't get one.


Twine will do the trick


That should keep them from breaking.  The peppers are getting quite beefy and will soon begin to turn orange then red.  Then I will give pickling a try and also eat them fresh with hummus.


The Black Eyed Susan Monster will absolutely need to be divided.  It is on my list for next spring.  If I were to continue to ignore this, it would also begin breaking over and, probably, begin dying in the center.  As it is I think it will need to be reduced to about a third.  I have new spots already prepared for the divisions.


And now for some pretty flowers

Snapdragons and Zinnias

Celosia

Gitt's Crazy Dahlia

Cafe' Au Lait Dahlia

Ice Tea Dahlia

Lady Darlene Dahlia







2 comments:

  1. I (sadly) know what you mean about green pepper plants often needing help in the way of some kind of support. Their sturdy stems should be stronger, right? Those meaty peppers are heavy, for sure, and oh so yummy. Gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they snap so easily. And the stems have joints and short fibers.

      Delete