This is a zoomed in view out one of my bedroom window's each morning. The pumpkin flowers are awake and ready for business.
Pumpkin and squash flowers only open up for a few hours first thing in the morning and if pollination does not occur, the flower is done. No day two for these.
And we have a lot of flowers. They are a hive of activity. Honey Bees galore.
Despite having planted these a week or two later than I would have liked, we already have some good sized pumpkins cooking in there.
We have short round ones and tall thin ones.
Once I have located a pumpkin I usually try to stand it up on it's blossom end so it will develop evenly and not with a flat back.
They are still pollinating and this week's babies will have time to develop.
A couple of plants were obviously cross pollinated with the zucchini plants last year and are Alien Squash Beasts. All the seeds I planted were either older seeds from the store bought pumpkin, or second generation seeds from the ones I grew last year.
No matter. We will have plenty of "normal" Jack o' Lantern style pumpkins. And now that this growing experiment is a success, I know how any plants this system can support and I know that I can protect the plants from deer destruction and other critters, until they are large enough to fend for themselves, I will actually spend a few bucks on "good" pumpkin seeds next year.
The fabric can be left out over winter and the seeds planted earlier and we should be in the pumpkin business in a big way.









No comments:
Post a Comment