Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Rainy Strolls

 This August has been cool and rather rainy.  Yesterday's high was around 58F (14C).  It has been a good time to catch up on some indoor work, those things that get neglected when you would rather be outside doing something, even sitting.  In between trips to the garden to get beans or sweet corn for supper, I do a walk through to check on things.   Below is a Foxtrot grass that I transplanted in a spot where I removed a daylily.  I actually removed this particular grass from another spot where it wasn't growing well.  I kept it in a pot in the garden making sure it got watered and cared for and now that it is transplanted out it seems to be very happy.


In the spot that I removed the grass (after replacing yet another daylily last year) I put a Winecraft Gold Smoke Bush.  I thought the bright chartreuse color would look nice against this dark, uniform, green wall we have going on here.


Here is another Foxtrot from the same division last July.  This one also had a lot of winter die back and was growing a little slowly this spring, but it sure is loving this cool, wet August.


Below is a new Perennial from this spring.   I watered it supplementally all through June and July because it has high water requirements and it has been doing beautifully, putting out a lot of new stems and flowering away. 

 Obedient Plant

So has this little Amsonia that got burnt to a crisp in shipping and arrived with only about an inch of green stem left.  

Storm Cloud Amsonia

Out in the pumpkin patch, a vine from one of the original seeds is really going for it.  It is producing a whole family of pumpkins under there,


After two days of rain I will have to go around with a pitch fork and fluff some of the bigger grasses.  They are looking pretty droopy


The Niagara Falls panicum grass below is very perky.  It has held up very well.


Although I have curated my Dahlia collection over years, there is nothing I look forward to more than the first bloom of a new to me variety.


The Petunias need to be cleaned up again....


I am really looking forward to replacing these planters with cornstalks and pumpkins.  The fresh Celosia planters are doing really well and can be included in the Autumn mix.


Still waiting for things to dry up so I can get rolling on some after rain maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment