Monday, June 7, 2021

Ninety Degrees

 The weather forecast had been calling for several days this week to be in the 90s.  The past two days the 90s had dropped to mid-80s.  Well, the forecasters forgot to copy Mother Nature and she hit us with 90 today anyway.  Its been up there for a few hours.  I chose to clean the house where it is only 78.  I think we may want to switch on the central air at this point.


When it gets this hot you want to make sure everything that needs water is well watered in the morning before the heat hits.  These tomato containers have been maintaining well.  I planted them on May 23rd (two weeks ago) and filled the water reservoirs at that point.  Since then we have had half an inch of rain (4 days ago) and I have not added any water.  I kept sticking my finger in there to check.


My husband decided I needed a moisture meter.  This thing is really slick.  The day it came I had been digging around in my soil anyway so I knew what was damp and what was dry.  I went around testing it and found it to be accurate.  It is designed to put in house plants but it works perfectly for these containers.  As you push it deeper or withdraw it the reading adjusts so you can tell just how deep your moisture actually is.

Garden Overview

The neglected peony

It is a good year for apples.  I have bagged 50 on one tree and 110 on the other
I'm out of bags!

This is what I have to do to save my ripe strawberries from the chipmunks,
I saw one of the little buggers casing the joint this morning

This Salvia was a centerpiece in our deck planters last summer

Daddy Mix Petunias

This daisy was planted in 2019
Last year it never even hinted at blooming.
This year it is going to be beautiful
This Heuchera was transplanted this spring


5 little pear-lings still on the tree

Bag potatoes

Lima Beans

Penenlope Peas

Early sweet corn. This grows visibly each day

Pole Beans and Nasturtium

Jade Bush Beans and Alyssum

Cantaloupes as an afterthought

Tater Patch Potatoes

Patio Choice cherry tomato

Dahlia Bed
This is the fourth year for these dahlia tubers
Zinnia on the edges



No comments:

Post a Comment