Saturday, April 29, 2023

April Showers

We have had quite a bit of nice weather, but we are entering a week long rainy system with no end in sight. The moisture will be good for the perennials, but we need some sun too.  I have everything set up and ready for rain.

The lettuce is growing well
I changed the peas from burlap to frost blanket mainly to prevent the lettuce babies from growing up into the weave and being torn out when I remove it.  

The lettuce loved the burlap and I got great germination

Store bought broccoli and cabbage under insect netting.

Strawberries growing well


I have a lot less going on in the cold frame than I sometimes do.  That is mainly due to my saved Marigold seeds not germinating in cool conditions.  Last year I ran a heat mat and infrared heater in the cold frame and it made a big difference. I was hoping to have several trays of Marigolds growing on at this point, but they are just now germinating indoors.  I have some papyrus that I bought early to make sure I have it for my planters, and a partial tray of Celosia that was started indoors under grow lights.  They have been out here for two weeks and are holding well despite several frosts.


Here is something new for this year.  Rather than spend up to $50 a planter every year for annuals, we are going with perennials.  I have been wanting to try planters of Heuchera (Coral Bells) and this spot will probably work.  We went to the Amish greenhouse and bought 4" pots of heuchera for a really good price.  6 pots for $22.  They are first year plants, but nicely grown on.  Since they are fresh from the greenhouse, I gave them frost covers.

Ta da!
Most of the growing is going on indoors.
Celosia and sweet peppers that will need to move to the cold frame to make room for tomatoes

Coleus and some tomatoes

Below are tomatoes for my friend Elsie.  She is Amish, and has her own family heirloom variety.  This is the second year I have started a tray for her under lights.  Last year went without a hitch. This year I ran into a bit of trouble.  The cotyledons on this variety are not very robust so I spritzed them with water to soften the seed shell and help the plants shed them.  By the end of the day I had two plants damped off.  I immediately sprinkled them with cinnamon (anti-fungal) and pointed the fan right at them.  The next morning, four more had keeled over, but that seemed to put an end to it.




I need four dozen, and this batch looks a bit short so I started a second batch to fill in.  In a few days they will be pricked out and transplanted into this tray and the Celosia will go outside and this tray will go under that grow light.  I need more lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment