Sunday, April 9, 2023

Spring has Sprung into Summer

It's Grow Time!


The Maple leaves are ready to pop.


The peas and lettuce will be direct sown next weekend.  But I have some lettuce babies that will be ready for transplanting, and 75+ degrees and unabating sun will cook them to a crisp.  I am hardening them off this week.  They had their first half hour of morning sun today and then they went back to their grow light which I set up in the garden shed so I can easily set them out for their allotted time each day then return them without having to navigate the basement stairs every time.



This morning I transplanted eight peppers and some Celosia.  They always look so bedraggled the first day but they will be fine.  I have extra Celosia that I might try in the cold frame as an experiment.


I ended up with two extra pepper plants.  Instead of doubling up in the cells I got them their own big boy pots.  We'll see if the different pots cause them to grow any different than the others.


I also moved the Dahlia tubers out of the bulkhead into the empty chicken coop because the bulkhead will be heating up in the sun this week whereas the coop is insulated and dark so it will be cooler.  I will not be fooled into thinking that summer weather is here to stay.  We could still get two weeks of miserable cold and snow in May like we did in both 2020 and 2021.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment