Thursday, June 15, 2023

What a Difference a Rain Makes

 Most things are growing as expected this year despite their challenging start with the hot, dry weather before they were rooted in.  The big exception is my "hands off" annual seeds.  Despite being carefully planted, and watered regularly, they were wisely holding off until they deemed the environment more hospitable.  Over the past few days we have had over an inch of rain and much cooler temperatures with some breaks of sun.

I overseed more seeds between the early starts of the Celosia

I had moved on to "Plan B" and transplanted my winter sown Snapdragons along side.

A tiny Zinnia pokes up between the Snapdragons

Now both the Zinnias and the Cosmos have decided it is safe to come out.

Cosmos at the feet of a Snapdragon
I also had to move the pepper plants.   They did not like to be in full sun.  I know that pepper plants like to touch each other and they can stand some dappled shade.  These pepper plants made it known that they specifically prefer shade.  They were NOT happy in full sun.  I moved them to the spot I had them last year where they are partially shaded by the fence rail most of the day.

They responded immediately by greening up and putting out some flower buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment